Sunday, February 26, 2012

Upgrade to LibreOffice 3.5 on Debian Linux

Here was how I upgraded to LibreOffice 3.5.

Uninstalled LibreOffice 3.3

First, I uninstalled the previous version of LibreOffice. In my case, it was LibreOffice 3.3.

I selected "System", "Administration" and "Synaptic Package Manager". In the "Quick Search" box, I typed "libreoffice".



Then, I removed all of the packages displayed in "Synaptic Package Manager".

To be really safe and not to leave the old files in the old version, I removed the old directory and those files as well.

rm -r '/opt/libreoffice' 

Installed LibreOffice 3.5

I visited the download page. I clicked on "Change System, Version or Language". I selected:

Linux (deb): x86

for my system to work.

I chose English (US) and then pressed "3.5.0".

I right-clicked on "Main installer" and pressed "Copy Link Location".

I used "MultiGet" to handle this downloading process.


After downloading, I issued the commands:

tar xfv LibO_3.5.0_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz

cd LibO_3.5.0rc3_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/

cd DEBS/

dpkg -i *.deb

cd desktop-integration/

dpkg -i *.deb


That was it.










No comments: