Friday, January 27, 2012

Edit interfaces to make Internet connection work on Debian Linux

As a superuser, I issue the command below to make my Internet connection work:

gedit /etc/network/interfaces


I edit the file like this:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
# auto lo
iface lo inet loopback



# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-ssid MyFavouriteSSID
    wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    wpa-group TKIP CCMP
    wpa-psk MyFavouritePassword


According to the manual, "allow-hotplug " means "start interface when the kernel detects a hotplug event from the interface". I found an article that said "Hot swapping and hot plugging are terms used to describe the functions of replacing computer system components without shutting down the system."

That means that I plug the cable into the computer and use the Internet when the system is still powered up.

This is the second working example. I had another example here.

No comments: