Monday, January 2, 2012

Connect to the Internet on Debian Linux

To connect to the Internet, I can follow the ways below:

Firstly, I can type the command in Terminal as a superuser:

su

Then, I can enter my password and edit the details of the network settings by typing:

gedit /etc/network/interfaces

After that, I can edit the file to look like the following:


# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-ssid AccessPointName
    wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    wpa-group TKIP CCMP
    wpa-psk PasswordOfMine

auto wlan1
iface wlan1 inet dhcp
    wpa-ssid AccessPointName
    wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    wpa-group TKIP CCMP
    wpa-psk PasswordOfMine

I may change my AccessPointName and my PasswordOfMine. eth0 means the wired connection. wlan0 means a wireless connection. wlan1 means another wireless connection if I have one, for example, with a USB wireless adapter.

Next, save the file by clicking on Save in gedit. Type the command to restart the network:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

No connection at boot time
The Internet should be connected. If no connection at boot time is detected, a message may be displayed. Read "Stop DHCPDISCOVER when starting Debian Linux" for stopping the message.


The information above was compiled with the help of an article titled "/etc/network/interfaces Ubuntu Linux networking example" of a site owned by nixCraft. Vivek Gite wrote this article on September 25, 2007.


The software items for the hardware items
I also installed the software for the network devices. For example, I used Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter and Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20).

No comments: