Monday, January 2, 2012

Use Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter on Debian Linux

I checked my computer for the version of wireless LAN card installed. It was Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter. A wireless LAN card lets me connect my computer to the Internet without using a wire.

To use this Atheros device on Debian Linux, I have installed "firmware-atheros" which is a Debian package. To do so, click on "System", "Administration" and "Synaptic Package Manager".

Type the keyword below in the Quick search box:

atheros

After that, click on the square next to "firmware-atheros"and click on "Mark for Installation". Then, click on "Apply".

Then, in Terminal, type:


su

Type the password of the superuser. Then, restart the network by the command:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

Open a web browser and enter the web address and hit Enter. It should work.

If the password or other network details are not set, I can refer to the information on connecting to the Internet on Debian Linux.