Monday, January 2, 2012

Synaptic Package Manager on Debian Linux

When installing a software item on Debian Linux, the official way to do so is using Synaptic Package Manager.

Synaptic Package Manager lets me install, uninstall or reinstall a software item. It lets me search for a software item as well. It also lets me sort software items by sections, for instance, editors and multimedia.

I can open the Manager by clicking on "System", "Administration" and "Synaptic Package Manager".

I can see the status of the software items by clicking on "Status". I can view the installed software items and those not installed. I can switch back to the sections view by clicking on "Sections".

To install Synaptic Package Manager, issue the command in Terminal:

apt-get install synaptic

Here are two screenshots:




No comments: