Saturday, September 29, 2012

Developing Android applications with command line tools on Debian Linux

I downloaded the Android SDK here.

I extracted the file, e.g.
tar -xvzf android-sdk_r20.0.3-linux.tgz


I added the environment variables:
nano /etc/profile

# add the following lines to /etc/profile at the end
PATH=$PATH:/path/To/Folder/android-sdks/platform-tools:/path/To/Folder/android-sdks/tools

export PATH


Then, I restarted my computer.

I typed the line below in Terminal:
android sdk

I saw the screenshots below and chose the proper tools:
You might want to install Android 2.2 or above. I had installed Android 2.2.



I selected Android 1.6 and clicked on Install 2 packages.
I chose Accept All and Install.

This was how it looked when the SDK Manager worked:

After installation, I closed the SDK Manager.

I typed the line below in Terminal:

android list targets

I saw:

 id: 1 or "android-4"
     Name: Android 1.6
     Type: Platform
     API level: 4
     Revision: 3
     Skins: WVGA854, WVGA800 (default), QVGA, HVGA
     ABIs : armeabi
----------
id: 2 or "Google Inc.:Google APIs:4"
     Name: Google APIs
     Type: Add-On
     Vendor: Google Inc.
     Revision: 2
     Description: Android + Google APIs
     Based on Android 1.6 (API level 4)
     Libraries:
      * com.google.android.maps (maps.jar)
          API for Google Maps
     Skins: WVGA854, HVGA, QVGA, WVGA800 (default)
     ABIs : armeabi

...

I typed:

android create project --target 1 --name MyFirstApp \
--path /path/To/Folder/myApps --activity MainActivity \
--package com.example.myfirstapp


I saw:

Created directory /path/To/Folder/android-sdks/myApps/src/com/www/myfirstapp
Added file path/To/Folder/myApps/src/com/www/myfirstapp/MainActivity.java
Created directory /path/To/Folder/android-sdks/myApps/res
Created directory /path/To/Folder/android-sdks/myApps/bin
Created directory /path/To/Folder/android-sdks/myApps/libs
Created directory /path/To/Folder/android-sdks/myApps/res/values

...


I typed:

android avd

I saw the screenshots shown below:


I clicked on New. I typed test-1.6 and chose Android 1.6 - API Level 4.



I created another Android Virtual Device.

I selected either of the two virtual devices I created and clicked on Start.



I pressed Launch.

I saw:







I started another Terminal and typed:

cd /path/To/Root/Folder/Of/MyApps

Make sure that Apache Ant was installed. See here. Then, I typed:
ant debug


I saw:

Buildfile: /path/android-sdks/myApps/build.xml

-set-mode-check:

-set-debug-files:

-check-env:
 [checkenv] Android SDK Tools Revision 20.0.3
 [checkenv] Installed at /path/android-sdks

-setup:
     [echo] Project Name: MyFirstApp
  [gettype] Project Type: Application

-set-debug-mode:

-debug-obfuscation-check:

...

-post-build:

debug:

BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 6 seconds





I started the Android Virtual Device. I unlocked this virtual device.

Then, in the other Terminal, I typed:

adb install bin/NameOfApp-debug.apk
I saw:
112 KB/s (4886 bytes in 0.042s)
    pkg: /data/local/tmp/NameOfApp-debug.apk
Success


I looked for the application in the virtual device and started the application.


Reference


Building Your First App


Update: The last steps including adb install bin/NameOfApp-debug.apk were added.

No comments: