Saturday, September 29, 2012

Installing Apache Ant on Debian Linux

"Apache Ant is a Java library and command-line tool that help building software," according to this page.

I used it for developing my Android applications.

I downloaded apache-ant-1.8.4-bin.tar.bz2 here.

Verifying

To verify the file, I downloaded the keys.

I also downloaded the PGP file called apache-ant-1.8.4-bin.tar.bz2.asc.






In Terminal, I typed
gpg --import KEYS

gpg --verify apache-ant-1.8.4-bin.tar.bz2.asc apache-ant-1.8.4-bin.tar.bz2


I saw:
gpg: Signature made Tue 22 May 2012 01:58:18 PM HKT using DSA key ID 5F6B8B72
gpg: Good signature from "Stefan Bodewig "
gpg:                 aka "Stefan Bodewig "
gpg:                 aka "Stefan Bodewig "
gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: CE80 75A2 5154 7BEE 249B  C151 A211 5AE1 5F6B 8B72


Extracting files

I typed:
tar xjvf apache-ant-1.8.4-bin.tar.bz2

Adding environment variables

To make it easy for me to use to commands, I typed:

nano /etc/profile


I added the lines below to the end of the file:

PATH=$PATH:/path/To/Folder/apache-ant-1.8.4/bin

export PATH


I restarted my computer and started using

ant debug

to build my Android applications.


No comments: