I have heard of the wide spread of ransomware. It may work like this:
- Delete all your back up files. (Dangerous)
- Encrypt the rest of the files without you knowing it. (Disastrous)
- Ask for your money to decrypt the files. (Horrible)
- Back up your data to an offline disk. When saving data offline, the chance of being attacked on the Internet is 0.
- Install the firewall, antivirus and operating system properly. Update the software as new vulnerabilities are detected.
- Do not run or open suspicious emails and files.
- Contact the security software companies.
- Decryption may be possible.
- Decryption may be impossible.