Sunday, April 24, 2016

Xfce on Debian Jessie 8.4 experiment

#!/bin/bash

# Xfce on Debian Jessie 8.4 experiment

## Here was how
## I installed Xfce on Debian Jessie 8.4.

## I chose the _expert install_ option.
## (I was not an expert. :) )
## I installed the _base utilities_ at first.
## I didn't install the desktop or print server.
## Afterwards, I ran the commands:

# for Xfce4:
aptitude install xfce4

# for the commands:
aptitude install xfce4-terminal

# for the login manager:
## aptitude install slim
## Didn't use it. It was slow.

# Instead, use the desktop environment
# after logging in:
echo 'startx' >> .profile
# this method shortens boot time

# for the text editor:
aptitude install geany

# for the input methods:
aptitude install ibus
aptitude install ibus-m17n

# for Chinese
aptitude install ibus-table-cangjie3
aptitude install ibus-table-wubi
aptitude install ibus-pinyin

# for Japanese
aptitude install ibus-kkc

# for fonts
aptitude install fonts-arphic-ukai
aptitude install fonts-hanazono
aptitude install fonts-droid

# change ibus settings
# to add new input methods
# e.g. Chinese, Japanese, Korean
# restart ibus

# for the web browser:
aptitude install chromium


## In my experiment, the system works.

No comments: